Furry conventions (conventions for fans of anthropomorphic animals) are held worldwide throughout the year. These conventions are the best way for members of Furry fandom to network with artists and writers, attend workshops and panels to hone one's skills, or just meet other Furry fans and socialize.
- What Goes on at a Furry Convention?
- What Should I Bring to a Furry Convention?
- Major Furry Conventions
- Other Furry Conventions
- Where Can I Find Other Fans Locally?
So you've never been to a Furry convention and are wondering what they're all about? KT's Furry FAQ describes it best: "Creative endeavors! Many furries are artists, writers, and costumers. At Furry conventions, people get together to trade and sell art and stories, perform in and show off fursuits, and hang out with friends from online."
As most Furry conventions are held over a weekend, you should pack for at least three days. If it is your first time attending a Furry convention, Matt J. McCullar has put together an detailed checklist that can assist you in gathering what you need: What To Take To A Con.
The "Big Three" Furry conventions are:
- Anthrocon, the world's largest Furry convention (attendance 5,861 in 2014), will be held from July 9-12, 2015 at the David L. Lawrence Convention Center in Pittsburgh, PA. Their theme is "Viking Invasion." Guests of Honor: Kimlinh Tran and the San Diego Chicken.
- Midwest FurFest is the second largest Furry convention (attendance 4,571 in 2014) will be held December 4-6, 2015 at the Hyatt Regency O'Hare in Rosemont, IL. Guests of Honor are Ifus, Mahrkale, and Yonoa.
- Further Confusion is the third largest Furry convention (attendance 3,560 in 2014), located in San Jose, CA. Their next convention will be held on January 14-18, 2016 at the San Jose Convention Center. Their theme is "Cafe FC: A Classic American Diner"
Can't make it to one of the Big Three? Furry conventions happen almost every week in all parts of the world!
- Furry Weekend Atlanta will be held March 14-17, 2013 in Atlanta, GA (attendance 1,902 in 2012).
- RainFurrest will be held September 26-29, 2013 in Seattle, WA (attendance 1,705 in 2012).
- Eurofurence will be held August 21-25, 2013 in Magdeburg, Saxony-Anhalt, Germany (attendance 1,232 in 2012).
- Furry Fiesta will be held February 21-24, 2013 in Dallas, TX (attendance 1,210 in 2012).
- Furry Connection North will be held April 12-14, 2013 in Novi, MI (attendance 1,179 in 2012).
- Califur will be held May 31-June 2, 2013 in Irvine, CA (attendance 949 in 2012).
- Camp Feral! (an outdoor Furry convention founded in 1998) will be held August 22-26, 2013 in Algonquin Provincial Park, Ontario, Canada.
- Fur the 'More is a new Furry convention scheduled for April 5-7, 2013 in Hunt Valley, MD.
Can't travel to a major Furry convention? There are occasionally smaller local gatherings of Furry fans known as "furmeets". You can look for a local furmeet on Furries Meetup or try a local Furry mailing list.